|Posted on February 9, 2015 at 5:30 PM||comments (2)|
Here are a few foods to avoid giving your cat.
- Tuna: Some tuna is fine, but as its only diet it can cause mercury poisoning, malnutrition, and addiction to tuna.
- Onions/Garlic/Chives: Cause gastrointestinal upset. Onions can break down red blood cells causing anemia.
- Milk: They are lactose intolerant so it causes upset tummy and diarrhea.
- Alcohol: Damages liver and brain. 2 tsp of whiskey can cause coma in a 5 pound cat, 1 more tsp would kill the cat.
- Grapes/Raisens: Small amount causes vomitting and hyperactivity. Can kill due to kidney failure. Not sure why this is.
- Caffeine: High quantities can be fatal. Causes restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, muscle tremors, and fits.
- Chocolate: Theobromine in chocolate causes abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and death. The darker the chocolate the worse it is. Unsweetened is really bad.
- Candy/Gum: Xylitol found in these causes increase in insulin, liver failure, vomitting, lethargy, lack of coordination, and seizures.
- Fat trimmings/Bones: Fat causes pancreatitis. Bones can splinter and cause obstruction or laceration.
- Raw eggs: Food poisoning from Salmonella or E. Coli. Protein in egg whites (avidin) interferes with absorption of B vitamin Biotin which causes skin and coat problems.
- Dog food: Not enough protein so the cat will be malnourished. Can cause blindness as the main diet.
- Liver: Small amount is ok. Large amount causes Vitamin A toxicity. This causes deformed bones, bone growths, osteoporosis, and death.
- Too many treats: Obesity and diabetes.
- Yeast Dough: Swells and stretches the abdomen. Yeast ferments and can cause alcohol poisoning.
- People meds: One of the most common causes of poisoning in a cat. Acetominophen and ibuprofen can be deadly.
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: 888-426-4435. There is a fee to call them, but it is worth it if you suspect poisoning.
Info found on WebMD
By: Kara Zapko
|Posted on January 26, 2015 at 1:10 PM||comments (2)|
Most everyone likes to give their dog treats, but here is a list of foods to avoid giving your dog.
- Avocado: Contains persin that can cause vomitting and diarrhea.
- Alcohol: Can cause intoxication, coma, and sometimes death. They can handle less alcohol than you.
- Bones: Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive tract.
- Chocolate/Coffee: Contains theobromine which can cause vomitting and diarrhea, and be toxic to the heart and nervous system.
- Fat trimmings: Can cause pancreatitis.
- Fish: Raw salmon can contain a parasite that can be fatal to dogs. Fish fed exclusively or in high amounts can cause thiamin and vitamin B deficiencies. Can cause loss of appetite, seizures, and death.
- Raisens/Grapes/Currants: For an unknown reason will cause kidney failure. Small amounts can be fatal.
- Milk: Dogs are lactose intolerant.
- Candy and gum: The sugar and xylitol found in these can cause an over release of insulin and kidney failure.
- Corn cob: Causes obstruction.
- Appleseeds: The casing is toxic and can release cyanide when ingested. Must eat large amounts and chew seed up for there to be a problem.
- Baby food: Stay away from onion powder. Baby food is not nutritional enough for a balanced diet.
- Hops: Ingredient in beer. Causes panting, increased heart rate, fever, seizures, and death.
- Human vitamins: the iron can damage digestive system lining and bad for kidneys and liver.
- Liver: Large amounts of Vitamin A can affect pups muscles and bones. (Small amount is ok)
- Macadamia nuts: Inhibits locomotry activities, results in weakness, panting, swollen limbs, tremors, damage digestive, nervous, and muscle systems.
- Marijuana: Affect nervous system, heart rate, cause vomitting.
- Mushrooms: Some can be fatal.
- Onions and Chives: Causes anemia and damages red blood cells.
- Persimmons, Peaches, Plums: Seeds/pits can cause obstruction.
- Rhubarb/Tomato leaves: Affects digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.
- Salt: Dehydration and diarrhea.
- Sugar: Dental issues, obesity, and diabetes.
- Tobacco: Nicotine can cause digestive and nervous systems to be affected. Increases heart rate, pass out, and sometimes death.
- Yeast: Expands and rises in the tummy. Mild will cause gas and discomfort. Too much will cause a rupture in stomach and intestines.
- String: While not a food, ingested string can get stuck in the intestines and tear the digestive tract lining.
By: Kara Zapko
(Information found on Canine Journal)