|Posted on March 3, 2019 at 9:40 AM||comments (384)|
10 FACTS FOR RABBIT CARE
When we think of pets we typically think of dogs, cats, and hamsters. Also, many exotics come to mind like reptiles and birds. There are a variety of animals out there that match a lot of the criteria people are looking for in a pet. Have you ever thought about a rabbit?
Here are 10 facts that you should know!
1. They can live 7 to 10 years.
2. Rabbits are social creatures.
3. Hay and pelleted food are their favorite.
4. A damp cloth is best for spot cleaning. A fully submerged bath in water is not necessary.
5. Adopting should be a family decision, they are not low maintenance.
6. Always provide a safe chew to help maintain healthy teeth: apple, ash, birch, hawthorn, hazel, juniper, maple, pear, poplar, spruce and willow twigs are safe to munch on. Card board and pine cones are safe too.
7. The following items are poisonous: bread, rice, potatoes, biscuits, chocolate, suckers, chips, and avocados.
8. Safe veggies for them to eat are: basil, Bok choy, broccoli, carrots, cilantro, clover, collard greens, dill, kale, mint, parsley, and lettuce.
9. Their skin is very sensitive and a rabbit’s eye sight is best in the early morning and at dusk.
10. Rabbits are very fragile as a “prey animal” you don’t want to startle them. The best to hold them is to support there back, hind end, and to hold them close to your body. Never pick them up by their ears. Always supervise children when interacting with rabbits.
When considering a rabbit, you need to plan their housing. Inside is best, even an approaching animal outside while they are in an outdoor hutch can cause your rabbit to have a heart attack. You can bunny proof a room and give them free reign in that room. You can use dog kennels/runs that the bunny cannot fit head and limbs through, or there are various types of rabbit hutches that can be bought from a pet store. Avoid wire bottom cages which can cause problems with their hocks.
In addition to this list of fun facts, rabbits are very trainable. They can learn a variety of tricks. Some popular ones are to come, sit up, and to jump. They can also be litter box trained. Keeping them entertained is great way to bond with your rabbit and is great exercise.
By Allison Kane